The History of Aldridges
Aldridge’s were established in 1879 as harness makers at 90 Friar Street . As lifestyle changed, the firm had to move on and harness work was replaced by saddlery and leather goods in 1925.
The premises doubled in size with the purchase of 91 Friar Street. The saddlery remained a part of the business until 1990, when with the ever increasing demand for luggage and business cases, sadly it had to be excluded.
Peter and Jonny, the fourth and fifth generation of the original family now run the business.
The retail shop closed in February 2016 and we now specialize in on line sales of Samsonite luggage replacement parts.
Above photo taken around 1920. Pictured are the 2nd and 3rd generation of Aldridge, both George. The shop only occupied no. 90 Friar Street.
Above photo taken in 1979 for the shops centenary. Pictured are the 3rd and 4th generation of Aldridge, George and Peter. The shop has doubled in size since the 1920 photo.